Ph.D. in Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business
M.S. in Mathematics, Instituto de Matematica Pura e Aplicada (IMPA), Brazil
B.A. in Economics, Pontificia Universidade Catolica (PUC-Rio), Brazil
At Haas since 2012
2012 - present, Associate Professor of Finance, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2011, Maurice F. Strong Career Development Professor of Management, MIT Sloan School of Management
2010 - 2011, Associate Professor of Finance, MIT Sloan School of Management
2006 - 2010, Assistant Professor of Finance, MIT Sloan School of Management
External Service and Assignments
- Co-founder (with Itay Goldstein) and board member of the Finance Theory Group
- Referee for American Economic Review, Economic Inquiry, Economic Journal, Economic Theory,Econometrica, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Intermediation, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Political Economy, Management Science, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Review of Economic Studies, Review of Finance, and Review of Financial Studies.
Current Research and Interests
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Institutions
- Financial Markets
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Motivating Innovation." Journal of Finance, vol. 66, pp. 1823-1869, 2011.
- “Performance-Sensitive Debt" (with Bruno Strulovici and Alexei Tchistyi), Review of Financial Studies, vol. 23, pp. 1819-1854, 2010.
- “Investment Reversibility and Agency Cost of Debt," Econometrica, vol. 76, pp. 437-442, 2008.
- “Information Percolation in Large Markets" (with Darrell Duffie), American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, vol. 97, pp. 203-209, 2007.
- Berkeley-Haas - MBA 231 – Corporate Finance
- MIT Sloan – 15.401 – Finance Theory I
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-Time MBA Program, 2012.
- Swiss Finance Institute Outstanding Paper Award, 2009.
- Review of Financial Studies Young Researcher Award, 2009.
- NBER IPE Grant, “Incentives and Creativity," 2007-2008.
- First Prize, Lehman Brothers Fellowship for Research Excellence in Finance, 2005.
- Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research (SIEPR) Fellowship, 2005-2006.
- Student Travel Award, American Finance Association, 2005.
- Jaedicke Merit Award, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 2001-2002.
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.